Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Keep the Tempo


Wrap your arms around your children.

Cower in fear of the monstrosity.

she doesn't wear designer brands. I can't be her friend.

Heaven knows why I am not so alone in my loneliness.

My ugly hands are being stripped of their colors, slowly fading to black and white.

that's what's in, right?

One step, Two step, stumble.

I never learned how to stand on my toes for hours on end with out falling to the ground.

I grew up playing in mud and catching grasshoppers by their legs.

I stand no chance in a world that wants to eat me alive.

Close my eyes and float back to a time where climbing trees was capable of your age range.

Where hair fell into pony tails and smiles were easily given away.

Laughs were genuine and friends were made quickly with full trust and reassurance.

Back to times of being wolves and Indians in the same day.

The days of sleep overs and trampolines.

Memories of happiness and pure satisfaction at the sight of a wrapped present under a tree.

Back to the days of belief.

Open my eyes and all of yours bare down too harshly for my heart to continue beating.

Stare at my stumbling feet and continue moving up the stairs to the safety of my bedroom.

Most of my time is spent locked away in my tower because I fear the evil kings and queens outside my window.

Putting together puzzles and reading the stories of times that weren't so long ago, but were happy enough to look back on even though I'm not old.

Wind blowing through your hair as you hang out your window. One step and the adrenaline rushes out of your ears and to the ground you soon fall above.

Yes you move down, but you know soon you will be soaring up.

No comments: